Just as the engine efficiency and fuel consumption matter to any car owner, so does the battery. A good car battery will ensure all goes well from the time you bring the engine to life to the time you bring your car to a halt.
This implies that you need to be extra vigilant and keen when shopping for a car battery. But, where can I get a good car battery and how can I tell a bad one from a good one? You ask. Well, the market is flooded with what various brands term the best among the best batteries. Some of these are far from the truth while the strengths of others are greatly underestimated. Fear not because we have your worry taken care of.
In this article, we will take you through a review of the top 10 best car batteries followed by a buyer’s guide. Take your time and read through, paying attention to details.
- Top 10 Best Car Batteries Reviews:
- 1. Optima Batteries 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery
- 2. XS Power High Output D6500
- 3. Odyssey PC680
- 4. ACDelco ACDB24R
- 5. Optima 8040-218
- 6. DieHard 38217
- 7. ACDelco 94RAGM
- 8. Mighty Max ML35-12
- 9. VMax V35-857
- 10. SoundQuest SQB2000
- Buyer’s Guide How to choose the best car battery:
Top 10 Best Car Batteries Reviews:
1. Optima Batteries 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery
We can strongly argue that this is the best car battery you that the market offers. It is capable of providing power to your car within a very short stint of time. It features 800 different cranking amps for dead and cold batteries. It is ideal for use in almost any type of vehicle such as SUVs, motorbikes, sedans, and hot rods.
- Has strong starting burst
- It is spill proof
- Resists vibration for up to 15 minutes
- Its lifespan is twice that of a regular battery
- Its charger is not very durable
- Limited warranty
2. XS Power High Output D6500
The D6500 High Output battery belongs to the XS power series. It has a capacity of 12 voltages with 3900 amperages. It comes with a terminal bolt. In terms of safety, this is the best car battery. It has electrolyte which is safe and sound in a fiberglass container.
- Best for racing competitions
- Safe electrolyte within a fiberglass container
- Can be mounted in any position
- Minimal internal resistance
- Quite expensive
- Takes long to charge
3. Odyssey PC680
If you are looking for value yet wish to have a controlled spending then Odyssey PC680 battery is the best for you. It typically lasts 70% longer than the conventional deep cycle battery. As such, you are sure of getting a highly stable charge for a good period of time. it also has a rapid recharge rate.
- 2-year full replacement warranty
- Can last for up to 10 years
- Achieves 100% charge within 4 to 6 hours
- Less effective in cold weather
4. ACDelco ACDB24R
This AGM battery from ACDelco brand is maintenance-free and as such, you do not have to fill it with water after a few weeks. It is made with spill-proof technology and does not leak anywhere. Additionally, this battery features valve regulated and gas combustion technology which delivers three times better life cycle in comparison to the traditional one.
- Resistant to leaks and spills
- Requires no maintenance
- Full frame grids
- Non-resistant to vibration
5. Optima 8040-218
Optima 8040-218 battery houses 12 voltages of power and is equipped with 620 cold cracking amperages. It also has an SAE post which delivers reliable performance. The battery offers well over 300 recharge cycles and has a reserve capacity of approximately 100 minutes.
- Spill-proof and can be mounted in any position
- 15 times resistant to vibration
- Offers over 300 recharge cycles
- Maintenance free
- Doesn’t come with a durable charger
- Limited warranty
6. DieHard 38217
This gold standard AGM battery prides itself of being 20 times more resilient to vibrations. Compared to its conventional counterparts, this battery provides two times better life cycle. It comes with a score of 92 AH and it is also equipped with 850 cold cranking amps.
- Resists vibrations 20 times better than its counterparts
- Twice as much cycle life and durability as conventional batteries
- 850 cold cranking amps
- Spill-proof construction
- Loses charge very quickly
- Not ideal for conventional road vehicles
7. ACDelco 94RAGM
This wonderful battery from ACDelco has a negative paste with high density. It not only enhances power but also boosts the battery life. This model comes with a silver calcium alloy stamp that improves performance as well as boosting the life cycle.
- Comes with a positive grid Made of calcium lead
- Its back is resistant to punctures
- Improved performance and life cycle
- Vent cap construction
- A bit expensive
- Fast discharge rate
8. Mighty Max ML35-12
This deep-cycle AGM unit from Mighty Max is sealed with lead acid. A complete package also comes with screws for fixing. The battery can be operated at a wide range of temperatures. It also comes with a long life of service.
- Wide range of temperatures for operation
- Delivers long-lasting performance
- Requires no maintenance
- Takes long to recharge
- No accessory included in the purchase
9. VMax V35-857
This top-notch battery offers a deep cycle marine performance. You also have an option to purchase the whole battery kit. Its grids are made of a heavy-duty alloy of lead and tin. This enables it to deliver high-quality service life and performance.
- Works effectively with float and cycle applications
- Equipped with spill-proof technology
- Requires no maintenance
- Can handle repeated overcharging
- Requires higher voltage for charging
- No equalized charge cycle
10. SoundQuest SQB2000
This car battery from SoundQuest features removable brass posts. It is capable of delivering more than 2000 watts of power. It also gives your car 525 amperes of boost power for five seconds. The battery has an AH score of 33.
- Equipped to deliver over 2000 watts
- AH score of 33
- Fully removable brass posts
- No vibration resistance features
- Not suitable for off-season storage
Buyer’s Guide How to choose the best car battery:
Just what do you really need to know on top of the top 10 best car batteries’ list? Well, we promised you this at the beginning and we are here to fulfill our promise. Below are factors to consider when selecting car batteries.
1. Battery Size
Normally, car batteries are divided into group sizes depending on the length, width, and height of the battery. You can easily find out the size of the battery required just by checking the manual of the owner or consulting the mechanic. The right size battery will perfectly fit in the battery tray thus preventing any possible damage that would arise from vibrations.
2. Reserve Capacity
Reserve capacity basically refers to the time span the battery can take running on its own power without the engine and before being discharged. If a battery has high reserve capacity, it will definitely help your car through tough situations such as when the engine fails to comply.
This comes in two options: maintenance-free and low maintenance type. Low maintenance batteries are usually unsealed with caps. This makes it possible for you to occasionally add distilled water. On the other hand, a maintenance-free car battery is normally sealed and the liquid electrolyte is capable of running throughout the battery life. In this case, there is no need for any replacement.
Both our review of top 10 best car batteries and buyer’s guide come in handy at any time you think of acquiring a car battery. If you were able to read keenly till the end, you must have found the information resourceful. Never let yourself be misadvised especially now that you have all the details at your fingertips.